Friday, July 22, 2016

Surrender, New York - Caleb Carr

She read

Publish date: Aug. 23, 2016

Having enjoyed reading Carr's previous novels, I looked forward to this one. What a disappointment.  I felt as though I plodded through it, reading it in short installments near the end just to be able to get through it. I didn't have a problem with the prose, it was the story that seemed to miss the mark.  I got the feeling that Carr fancied his two protagonists as modern day Sherlock Holmes and Watson or perhaps I looked at that as an excuse for what I thought was very unrealistic behavior by professionals.  I am not one who tries to figure out "who did it"  when I read a novel; I just like to let a story unfold.  Unfortunately, the "who did it"  was obvious early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment