Friday, October 14, 2016

Out of Bounds - Val McDermid

Out of Bounds, Val McDermid

She read

A Scottish police procedural, this is the fourth in the Inspector Karen Pirie series, and the 30th by McDermid; it is the first I have read.  I really liked it.  A member of the Historic Cases (cold cases) Unit, Pirie is a strong, intelligent, vulnerable, but not  overly flawed character.  I liked her better than many of the female protagonists who have inhabited other procedurals I have read recently. There are a few story lines here, but all could be followed easily and when they overlapped, they did so realistically. A gripping story, good character development and I liked the inclusion of topical issues/conversation such as Syrian refugees and the banter about Donald Trump. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good mystery/police procedural.  I'm glad I discovered this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment