Sunday, December 11, 2022

Their Burning Graves - Helen Phifer

 Their Burning Graves - Helen Phifer

She Read

Release Date: December 19, 2022


A house is on fire in an upscale neighborhood; inside it is the scene of the gruesome murder of three members of a family.  Detective Constable Morgan Brooks and her team are on the case. While they investigate, the perpetrator has already picked out their next target. 


The Morgan Brooks series was recommended to me by a fellow bookstagrammer; it is the first of the eight that I have read.  It was a fast, engrossing read; the kind of mystery I typically like.  While I enjoyed it, I don’t think it completely worked as a standalone. Regarding the members of the team and their past history, I felt as though I was coming in in the middle of a story and would have liked a brief summary to catch up. Some series authors are very careful to help new readers catch up; that did not occur in this book.  I also felt that there were some questions left unanswered about the case.  Despite these concerns, it was a decent read and I will certainly seek out number nine when it is available  


****




No comments:

Post a Comment