Monday, September 11, 2023

So Late in the Day - Claire Keegan

 So Late in the Day - Claire Keegan

Publication Date:  Nov. 14, 2023

She read

I am not usually a fan of short stories, but when they are from an author whose writing I enjoy, I can’t resist. I have read two novellas by Keegan that I really liked; when I saw this offering, I jumped at the chance to read it. 


So Late in the Day is a book that consists of three provocative short stories.  What they all have in common is that they touch on the tensions involved in male/female relationships. 


There is misogyny, danger, sadness, and, in one story, triumph.  Keegan’s vivid descriptions pull the reader right into the unfolding scenes.  Especially evocative was the drive the main character in the second story embarked on as she traveled to a writing retreat, as well as the description of the property and its locale  

Keegan proves once again that one doesn’t have to be wordy to be profound and affecting. 


Thanks to #netgalley and #groveatlantic for the ARC

****

No comments:

Post a Comment