Monday, January 11, 2021

Transient Desires - Donna Leon

 Transient Desires - Donna Leon

Publication Date: March 9, 2021

He and she read

I am a huge fan of Donna Leon’s Commissario Guido Brunetti series.  I look forward each year to a new one; this is her thirtieth.


The cases, while always intriguing, are almost secondary to the wonderful characterizations and musings and observations of life, especially Venetian life, by Brunetti. So nice to visit again with all the familiar actors,  flamboyant Signora Elletra, strong and wise Paola, philosophical Guido, comical Patta, capable Griffoni, loyal Foa.  


This case unfolds after two young American women injured in a boating accident are anonymously deposited on the dock outside the hospital. Is that all there is to it?  Ah, no, for this is Venice, and there is always more to the story.


I think this was one of my favorite of the series. It was a fast read, but I tried to take time to savor my time in Venice.  Leon is an excellent writer, sharing wit and wisdom. For anyone new to Brunetti, this certainly can be read as a stand alone, but why deprive yourself?  Go back to the beginning of the series and enjoy getting to know all of these memorable characters.


During these days of restricted travel, I enjoyed revisiting the landmarks of La Serenissima, stopping here and there for a coffee, brioche,  glass of wine, or, my favorite, an Aperol spritz. 

*****

He is also a big fan of this series and is currently reading this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment