Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The Other Black Girl - Zakiya Dalila Harris

 The Other Black Girl - Zakiya Dalila Harris

He and she read

Release date:  June 1, 2021

To sum up in a few words:  clever; slow build.


It took a while for the story to build.  It was interesting, but initially seemed to be going nowhere. When I got to 50% of the book completed, I thought, “really, I am only HALF done?” There are some back stories in separate chapters with various characters  that may have some wondering what is going on and what is the connection. Although the author tried to pull it all together, I think many will still have confusion or questions.


I am that reader who steers away from anything that says “fantasy” or “supernatural” and comparison to the film Get Out was my warning. However, viewed as a satire, I found the theme to be relevant and innovative and that is what earned the book four stars instead of three for me.  


While featuring micro aggressions in the publishing business, I think the theme and actions probably could apply to almost any environment in the US.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment