Friday, December 24, 2021

Give Unto Others - Donna Leon

 Give Unto Others - Donna Leon

She read; he will read

Publication Date: March 15, 2022

Donna Leon’s I latest Brunetti novel was a Christmas gift I gave to myself.  Although not to be published until March, I received a copy from NetGalley early.  I was saving it until closer to the publication date, but on a particularly bleak day leading up to Christmas. I just had to read it. 


I love this series…the writing, the characters, the setting, the Venetian idea of justice.

What a joy to read such a literate writer; and I think this may be her best. Yes, this is her 31st, and I have looked forward to and read all of them.  


In this story, an old family acquaintance of Brunetti seeks his assistance. Leon writes in such a vividly descriptive manner that you feel you are actually in the room with characters.  Interwoven throughout the story is the pandemic, along with Leon’s typically sharp observations.  An illustration: Brunetti’s musing as to whether this “disease” infects all of our thoughts. 


It was so nice to visit again with all the familiar players, stroll past familiar Venetian landmarks, stopping for a coffee along the way.  For anyone new to Brunetti, this can be read as a stand alone, but why deprive yourself?  Go back to the beginning of the series and enjoy getting to know all of these memorable characters.


88888

No comments:

Post a Comment