Sunday, January 16, 2022

Violeta - Isabel Allende

Violeta - Isabel Allende

She read; he is reading

Publication Date: January 25, 2022

I’ve read a few novels by Allende, and I think this is my favorite.  It was wonderful.  Although, I do have to say, I really liked the first and last third of the story; the middle third sagged a bit for me.

Violeta is a 100 year old woman looking back on her life.  She was born the year of a pandemic and died the year of one.  She charts her life, along with the political, social, and cultural history of her country, and, in a way,  the world. Allende is a skilled storyteller, and she is at her best when weaving the history of the various Latin American countries into the personal narratives of her characters.

Beautifully written, engrossing; I highly recommend it.  

Incidentally, if you are not familiar with “Operation Condor”, you might want to Google it either before reading the book or when you reach that point in your reading.  Very eye opening. 


(He hasn't finished reading it yet; but really likes it)


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment