Sunday, July 24, 2022

Such a Good Mother - Helen Monks Takhar

Such a Good Mother - Helen Monks Takhar


She read

Publication Date: Aug. 2, 2022


 Rose, the daughter of a scam artist, lost everything when her father died.  Now she and her mostly unemployed husband struggle to make ends meet in a neighborhood turned upscale by the presence of an exclusive school, the Woolf Academy.

Despite her social insecurity and his difficulty fitting in, she applies for her son to attend the Woolf and he is accepted.  There are strange goings on here, including a tight group of women called The Circle who run the school, the death of one of them, and their charismatic but suspicious and overbearing leader.  Soon Rose is called upon to enter The Circle, but at what price?


Many have really liked this book; I am an outlier.  It was well written with twists and turns but it just wasn’t for me.  I really had to force myself to stay with the book as I found it tedious.   I couldn’t get invested in the story; most of the characters were unlikable and I just didn’t care what happened to any of them.  Incidentally, I the saw genre of this book as more of a horror story than a mystery. 


Thanks to #Netgally and #RandomHouse for the ARC.


**

No comments:

Post a Comment