Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The Blame Game -- Sandie Jones

 The Blame Game - Sandie Jones

She read

Publication Date: Aug. 16, 2022

Naomi is a psychotherapist who has gotten too close to her client, Jacob.  When he disappears, suspicion is turned to her.  Is it trauma in her family history come back to haunt her, or is something else going on?


There is an audience out there for this book.  Unfortunately, it was not me. From the outset, I had problems with all of Naomi’s unprofessional and unethical behavior.  The list goes on and on:  telling her husband about a case to accepting gifts to blurring boundaries over and over to lying to the police.  Her crossing the boundaries would do nothing to help clients; it would only made them more dependent. There are social workers and agencies that could provide assistance.  Why did she not encourage her clients to seek the appropriate professional intervention whether it be social or legal?


Sorry about the rant, but it really bothered me (perhaps because I am a former mental health professional).  That said, I tried to overlook it all, saying “it’s just fiction” and buy into the story.  It was a very slow burn and I found myself skimming a lot.  There were many places the plot could have gone, but the final resolution was just too scattered.  


I do think the author is a good writer and I would be interested in reading some of her other works. Again, there are many who will like this book, I am just not one of them.


Thanks to @netgalley and @stmartinspress @minotaurbooks for the ARC



**

No comments:

Post a Comment