Thursday, October 14, 2021

O Beautiful - Jung Yun

 O Beautiful - Jung Yun

She read

Publication Date: Nov. 9, 2021

I have ambivalent about this work.  The writing was wonderful.  In the beginning I didn’t particularly like it.  I didn’t like the protagonist and her self destructive, stupid actions. As the book progressed, it drew me in, though.  


Just as Elinor saw several different story lines for the article she was supposed to write, the novel itself pursued several different themes.  What they had in common was a pervasive toxicity in our society.  


And that conclusion….not very satisfying. At times, I thought the story could accomplish great insight about so much.  But in the end, it seemed it was just about Elinor.


I vacillate between three and four stars.  I guess I have to give it four for the writing, but three for my reaction to it overall. 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment