Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Family Game - Catherine Steadman

 The Family Game - Catherine Steadman

She read

Harriet, who has just published a wildly successful novel, has emigrated to the United States to be with the love of her life, Edward. Edward comes from a very wealthy “old money” family from whom he has been estranged. The family hopes that Harriet will bring Edward back into the fold. But, they are a family who likes dangerous games, starting with a tape that the patriarch gives her.  Will Harriet succeed at the games and will her long held secret remain just that….secret? 


A lot of readers really liked this book.  I liked the atmospheric writing and enjoyed that it was a quick, engrossing read.  However, I thought the storyline a bit much.  There is a saying “the rich are different”.  Are they really THAT different?  As the action spirals downward to the ending, which was not a surprise, I felt the entire story deteriorated.  And don’t get me started on Harriet’s careless treatment of the tape.


I have to point out that I am a reader who does not like to suspend belief when I read.  Those who are comfortable doing this will probably like the book much more than I did. I have enjoyed Steadman’s books in the past and will certainly seek out her next one.


Thanks to #netgalley and #ballentinebooks for the ARC.

***



No comments:

Post a Comment