Thursday, October 27, 2022

The Last Chairlift - John Irving

The Last Chairlift - John Irving


He and she read


 Spanning 80 years, this is the memoir of Adam, a writer and his eccentric extended family.  He had an unusual childhood and throughout his life is surrounded by some vivid characters.   I can’t possibly summarize this sprawling book in a brief review.


There is humor and horror.  It is disturbing; it is  poignant; it is infuriating. Fans of Irving will recognize some of his favorite settings and themes. As Adam’s life unfolds, Irving chronicles political and cultural events of the times. 


The book is very long…more than 900 pages and there is a lot of repetition. Part of it is written as a screenplay. Initially, I read all day and hadn’t even made a dent in the story.  I felt as though it were a chore to get through it until I changed my tactic.  I spent a set allotment each day to take my time to read just a few chapters while also reading other faster paced books at other times during the day. That way I was able to savor the writing rather than being frustrated by seeming to be going nowhere.


Thanks to @netgalley and @simonandSchuster for the ARC.


****




No comments:

Post a Comment