Monday, February 13, 2023

Old Babes in the Woods - Margaret Atwood

 Old Babes in the Woods: Stories - Margaret Atwood

Release Date:  March 7, 2023

She read.

I am not a big fan of short stories, but when I saw this offering by Margaret Atwood, I couldn’t pass it up, both because of the title and the author. Some of these fifteen stories have previously appeared in periodicals such as The New Yorker.  Topics include friend and family relationships, particularly between husband and wife, sisters, and mothers and daughters, as well as the aging process and all that accompanies it. 


The stories are entertaining….humorous and heartbreaking. I enjoyed some of the stories more than others, finding those that touched on sci fi and fantasy less appealing than those focusing on the aging Nell.  That said, the one story involving a mother who is known to practice witchcraft was quite amusing along with its poignancy and the one in which Atwood uses a medium to interview George Orwell was delightful. 


As a woman facing the waning years of life in family, friends, and self, many of Atwood’s stories really resonated with me.  There are some in this collection that I definitely will go back and read again. This was a five star read and I think it would be a great selection for book clubs. 


Thanks to #netgalley and #doubleday for the ARC.

*****



No comments:

Post a Comment