Saturday, May 20, 2023

Dead Man's Wake - Paul Doiron

 Dead Man's Wake - Paul Doiron

Publication Date: June 27, 2023

This is the 14th in the Mike Bowditch series and I only just discovered it! Although I’m sorry I missed out on the earlier stories, this works well as a standalone.

Mike is a Maine Game Warden Investigator engaged to Stacey, an EMT.   While visiting his step father and his new wife in their lakeside home, along with his future in laws, the couple observe what may be a hit and run boat crash.  When they investigate, they discover a severed arm in the water.  The next day, two bodies are found in the lake.  The dead bodies bring out personnel from various law enforcement departments, with Mike and Stacey caught up in a dangerous quest for the truth. 


I loved the unique take on a police procedural…featuring a game warden investigator.It was a fast paced, engrossing read with a solid plot and lots of action. Doiron created a good sense of place.  I enjoyed learning some new information related to boating, water searches, float planes.  Although there are hints of a rough background, I liked the main character.  He was realistic.  Mike respects warrants and there were minimal superhuman feats.  I also liked Stacy’s character. She is a smart, capable female who plays an important role in the story. 

I am adding this series to my list of must reads. I am looking forward to the next one.


Thanks to #netgalley and #StMartinsPress #MinotaurBooks for the ARC.


****




No comments:

Post a Comment