Saturday, May 13, 2023

The Quiet Tenant - Clémence Michallon

 The Quiet Tenant - Clémence Michallon

Publication Date:  June 20, 2023

She read

The name he gives her is Rachel.  She has been held  captive and abused by a serial killer for five years in this story that is mostly told from the POV of his victims.  Before “Rachel” and after taking her, he has killed.  Aidan Thomas is a quiet, beloved lineman/handyman; he helps people out all the time.  His wife has recently died and he is left to take care of his daughter, Cecilia. A forced move results in “Rachel” having to meet and spend time with Cecilia even while she is still a captive.   Emily is a local restaurant owner who develops a strong crush on Aidan.  Will she spoil Aidan’s secret? Chapters are also from the POV of Cecilia and Emily.  

I have a policy that I will not DNF a novel, no matter how much I want to.  I will stick with it to the end in the hopes of finding some redeeming quality and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.  Although the last roughly quarter of the novel picked up for me, I found most of it unpleasant.  The author presents the serial killer and the main victim from a unique perspective and the reader learns more about the inner workings of  Rachel’s mind and her adaptation to the situation than the psyche of a serial killer.  I found humanizing this monster very disturbing.  

While this was an uncomfortable read for me, there are many who will find it compelling. And I do credit it with its unique perspective. 
 
Thanks to #netgalley and #knopf for the ARC.
 

**



No comments:

Post a Comment