Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Long Call - Ann Cleeves

 The Long Call - Ann Cleeves

She read

This is the first in the Two Rivers series. I have wanted to read this book for almost two years…ever since I read the second in the series.  Unfortunately, I got to read the third one before finally going back and reading this one.  However, I think all three of them work well as stand alones.  


The Long Call introduces Detective Matthew Venn and his associates, Constable Ross May and DS Jen Rafferty.  When a dead body is discovered on the beach, Matthew finds that the case is associated with the community center run by his husband, Jonathan and also may be tied to the religious group his family belonged to but from whom he has been ostracized.  


I enjoyed this introduction to the characters I know well from the other two books in the series.  All three of these books are well written, with strong character development.  Cleeves will have you guessing throughout.   Stressing characters and plot rather than action, this is another engrossing read that I didn’t want to put down. 


If you are not familiar with this series, you might recognize Cleeves’ name from her very successful Vera and Shetland books and TV series.  If you like methodical, introspective, well plotted and characterized police procedurals, seek her out. 


Thanks to #netgalley and #stmartinspress #minotaurbooks for the ARC, even if I did read it long after it was published!

****



No comments:

Post a Comment