Monday, July 17, 2023

Wandering Through Life - Donna Leon

 Wandering Through Life - Donna Leon

Publication Date: September 19, 2023

She read; he will read

I do not typically read memoirs.  However, I LOVE Donna Leon’s Guido Brunetti police procedurals/mysteries set in Venice.  I have read all thirty two of them. Naturally, I just had to read her memoir. 

Written in her 80th year, and told through a series of vignettes, Leon recalls her very colorful history in the United States, teaching in Iran, China, and Saudi Arabia, and settling in Italy.  A short book, I’m not going to try to detail the various accounts as I couldn’t possibly do them justice. Just know that she writes with humor and warmth about her quirky family (aren’t they all?), friends, and life in her adopted countries.  

As in her novels, there are wonderful characterizations and sharp observations of life that are right on target. 

Even if you have never read any of her books, you may well enjoy these slices of Leon’s life, specific to her, but also many that can be generalized to others. 

On a personal level, I was particularly amused by the letter she has had to write for the Questura in Venice to hand to visitors who stop there wanting to see Brunetti and his colorful associates.  I have to admit that the last time I was in Venice I spent an afternoon on my own Brunetti tour, visiting  places that were scenes in the various novels and some of his favorite haunts.  I didn’t invade the Questura, but stood on a nearby bridge for photos and, of course, stopped for a coffee and tramezzini.  

Thanks to #netgalley and #groveatlantic #atlanticmonthlypress for the ARC.


*****




No comments:

Post a Comment