Monday, April 24, 2017

The Graves - Pamela Wechsler

The Graves - Pamela Wechsler

She Read

Publication Date: May 2, 2017

This is Pamela Wechsler’s second in what I hope will be a long series featuring Abby Endicott, chief of the Boston DA’s homicide unit.  A former criminal prosecutor and now consultant, writer, and producer for a variety of successful network television legal shows, Wechsler has a breezy writing style that kept my eyes glued to the page.  I didn’t want to put the book down and, in fact, read it in one day. Although one might be tempted to compare Endicott with Linda Fairstein’s Alex Cooper character, Wechsler’s writing seemed fresh and original

Wechsler knows Boston well and those familiar with the city will enjoy the landmark references, even if many of them are made in relation to crimes!  Those unfamiliar with the city will appreciate the introduction to it. 

Although I don’t ever try to, I was able to guess the culprit fairly early on.  However, that didn’t detract from the unfolding story as there was so much else going on with the trial as well Abby’s personal life and a look into the underside of politics. 

There are references to the prior Abby Endicott novel in The Graves.  These references were not confusing; they did make me curious and I will now go back and read it.  

There was good character development and I look forward to future books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment