Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Autopsy - Patricia Cornwell

 Autopsy - Patricia Cornwell

She read

Publication date: Nov 30, 2021


I used to read the Kay Scarpetta novels faithfully but lost interest as I thought the writing style declined over time and felt the last one I read years ago was barely intelligible.  I always enjoyed the characters, but the decline in language and grammar really turned me off.


This twenty fifth in the series sees Kay returning to her earlier professional roots and is certainly better written than the last one I read. I do like her character, as well as the supporting individuals in her life.  However, there was a lot of time spent on a subplot that, while interesting, just fizzled out.  Reading it, I started to wonder, “what other book have I wandered into?”.  I almost felt as though it were just a page filler.


The ending seemed rushed with some actions not explained well.  So much time was spent on activities not necessarily related to the story and then things were tied up very quickly.  I usually have a feeling of satisfaction after finishing a book.  Here, I just felt cheated.


Fans of the Scarpetta series will no doubt enjoy this read….it just left me kind of “meh”.  However, it did not turn me off to Cornwell’s writing and I will certainly seeking out the next novel. 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment