Saturday, November 6, 2021

Murder at Greysbridge - Andrea Carter

 Murder at Greysbridge - Andrea Carter

She read

This is the fourth of Inishowen series featuring Solicitor Benedicta O’Keeffe of

County Donegal.  It is the first one I have read and I am glad  I discovered this little gem. The comparison to Miss Marple and description as a “cozy”mystery I read in some reviews almost put me off.  While there was not a lot of overt action and certainly there was tea, I thought it a step up from cozy mysteries and Ben is certainly no elderly spinster doddering around. 


The murders do not occur until one quarter through the book.  What occurs instead is  good character development and wonderful atmospheric descriptions of Greysbridge Hotel, the Irish seaside, and the nearby island.  As the plot develops, what may initially seem like a very simple case has much more to it. 


While this is part of a series, it worked fine as a standalone although I would have liked to know more about the death of Ben’s sister.  There are references to that case and the perpetrator, but it is never explained or summarized.  At the conclusion, some life decisions for Ben are left hanging and now I can’t wait until the next book to find out the resolutions. 


****

No comments:

Post a Comment