Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The Bookseller of Dachau - Shari Ryan

 The Bookseller of Dachau - Shari Ryan

She read

It seems I’ve read a lot of World War II novels lately. Many of them have been written with various, unique foci and some have also had dual timelines, as did this one. I loved The Bookseller of Dachau. The idea of presenting the atrocities of Nazism along with the pain and joy of discovering lost relatives years later worked well.  


Although perhaps a little fairy talish, it was well written, engrossing, and touching. The story tugged many heart strings; the pain and suffering experienced during World War II and the discovery of lost relatives. Lest you think it was a downer, it was not.  There are many positive human emotions here as well. 


Having, during my adult years discovered the family of a grandmother I thought was lost to me, despite much searching by my parents,  I thought Grace’s persistence and feelings were quite realistic.


I have frequently commented on the plethora of World War II historical fiction (see above!)  written now. It is important though for them to continue to be written and read, especially by younger generations. We need to never forget man’s inhumanity to man and atrocities committed in the name of hate. And we need to be sensitive to the dangers of cult like figures, hatred, and how easy it is for the unthinkable to become reality or a nation to be led astray.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment