Thursday, November 11, 2021

Our Country Friends - Gary Shteyngart

Our Country Friends - Gary Shteyngart

He and she read


 Shteyngart captures the zeitgeist of 2020 … the pandemic,  racial issues, the political split, the immigrant experience, white supremacy, the dangers of social media.  There is humor, some absurdity; some satire, some farce.  I thought parts were brilliant, other sections I just wanted to skim over.  


Is this THE pandemic novel as some tout it?  I don’t think so, but it is certainly an important contribution to this body of literature.  I recently read another pandemic novel by another noted author which is soon to be released. While Our Country Friends is more intellectual, worldlier, perhaps wittier and both address the delusional aspects of Covid, I felt the other novel to be much more readable. 


He is in the middle of reading it also and, so far, really likes it....

****

No comments:

Post a Comment